Monday, September 04, 2006

LED Light: Streamlight Stylus is handy light

September 3, 2006

Deer season is when I make the most use of a flashlight to walk into tree stands before dawn or come out after dark. For the past five years, I've been guided by a Streamlight Stylus light that's no bigger than a ballpoint pen yet can illuminate a room. In an era when people don't blink at spending $100 for a light, the Stylus is a real bargain, selling for about $12-$20 in outdoor stores and on the Internet, depending on the model. I've had the same one since 2002 mostly because, like a pen, it clips into an inside pocket of a hunting coat, where I'm less likely to lose it. The 1.1-ounce Stylus has an LED bulb that the manufacturer says will last 100,000 hours, which is probably about 1,000 times more than I'll get out of it. The manufacturer says it will run at least 60 hours on three AAAA batteries, which are available in places like Kmart and Rite Aid. I haven't tested the duration, but I'm only on my second set of batteries after five years. The body is made of tough aluminum, and there is a choice of LED light colors, including white and ultraviolet. I like green because it seems to make blood stand out better when tracking a deer.

Eric Sharp





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?